My professor's question


Professor PVS Rao, who was my guide during my master's degree work, sent me a question today. 

I answered it correctly and he gave me 99% marks for it. I thought that kids nowadays think very well and might be able to answer the question. To make it easier for you, I give a few clues. 

The question is: 

"I have two thermos flasks at home in my flat. 

I wish to QUANTITATIVELY AND ACCURATELY compare how good they are, without moving out of my house. 

HOW? 

I have no equipment". 

Clues: 
1) Do you have ice cubes at home? 

2) If a cube of ice is in a good flask, will it melt faster? Or slower? 

3) What is a flask expected to do? Keep cool things cool, or to heat them up? 

Think this out, and discuss it with your parents or others in the house. 

Srinivasan Ramani   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you plant a seed and get beautiful flowers?

A Display of Dolls that Tells a Story

Birthday Cake Puzzle (for 4 to 8 year old kids)